Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a pdf version of the book that is better for printing?
- Answer: There is an
icon "Print Friendly" in the top right corner of many of the GSS pages. That is intended for
use in making PDFs where left navigation is omitted. It's not perfect. Some tables and images may be
interrupted at a page break. This was a decision that was made in 2005 to make GSS all-digital, for cost savings as well as for facilitating rapid implementation of revisions and improvements. We hope the resulting monetary savings and quality of product are worth
that flaw. We know it appears unprofessional, but many
if not most students would be more happy to read the material online
where there are no such flaws, so only those for whom a printout is
needed would have the slight disadvantage of occasional interrupted
table or image. Many teacher guide pages have the Print Friendly feature as well.
Is GSS up to date/How does GSS stay up to date? Answers:
- GSS staff can evaluate and implement a change very quickly, usually within days
or even minutes. This is something textbook companies simply cannot do. The student books reflect automatically the
most updated version. Updates do not need to wait for any multi-year
- The GSS "Staying Up To Date" email service sends
updates, mostly in the form links to articles relevant to specific GSS
chapters, about once a week. You may sign up for this service or RSS feed at the GSS
Staying Up To Date page.
If I notice issues (links that don't work, information that is not correct...), who should I contact?
- Answer: Contact the GSS Director, Alan Gould <>. The student books are on a google site that
is very easy for us to update it at anytime. If you have suggestions for
improvement or find errors, I am the best person to send them to.
If I have [x] students, do I pay $5x to use the materials?
- Answer: Yes, if you, your school, district, supporting parent or company can afford it, the intent of the pricing can be viewed as $5/student. We do not have any mechanism through UC to get revenue to support the project other than these licenses, so we use that mechanism for donations as well. E.g. if someone wanted to donate $150, they'd purchase 30 licenses.
What improvements are planned? Answers:
- We are in the process of updating GSS to be in support of NGSS. Latest efforts can be found on the GSS standards page.
- We are also working on converting the GSS books to be more mobile-adapted. It already takes advantage of an intrinsic Google site option that makes it mobile-friendly, e.g. the left nav is hidden until you tap the menu icon. Page layouts are being improved as new techniques are learned.
Is there an updated teacher guide?
- Answer: Contact GSS Director, Alan Gould <> if you are a teacher and want access to the teacher site. It is
served as a google site, and it is very easy for us to update it at
anytime if new ideas or any errors are found. So what you see there is
automatically the most updated version.